To access Texas Drivers Handbook from DPS, you may click below or go to https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/, select Driver License, then select Driver Handbook.
Students may take Drivers Education Course at age 15.
Students under 18 must hold permit for 6 months.
Students age 18 and over may take the Drivers Eucation Course or 6 hour Adult Online Course
Parents must practice an additional 30 hours of driving at home in between each drive with driving instructor.
Students under 18 are eligible to test for license if completed driving education, completed parent hours, held permit for 6 months and are at least 16 years old.
To schedule an appointment with The Texas Department of Public Safety, please visit https://www.dps.texas.gov.
1. Click on DRIVER LICENSE & IDs (at the top)
2. Click on New Appointment Scheduling System (red center square)
3. Scroll down and click on Schedule a driver license appointment on the blue rectangle.
4. Select preferred language, English or Spanish.
5. Log on information, enter First name, Last name, date of birth & last 4 digits of your social security #.
6. Log on
7. click New Appointment
8. Under Driver license Services, select Apply for first time DL/Permit if in blue. If option is in gray, go to Other Services column and select Service Not listed.
9. Enter e-mail address twice
10. Enter your zip code or city
If looking for an appointment sooner, try searching surrounding or outer city limits (EXCEPT KARNES CITY)
11. Click Next for appointment dates and times.
12. Select a location
13. Select a time
14. Click Next
15. Click Confirm. Must confirm to reserve your appointment.
DPS requires the following items to obtain a Learner's Permit:
1. DE-964 certificate (permit certificate) from the driving school
2. Certified copy of birth certificate
3. Social security card
4. Third form of ID: School ID, Insurance Card, Military ID or Passport
5. Parent or legal guardian
6. Proof of Residency (Take 2 bills & h. License fee of $16 ($33 if over age 18)
parent on bill must be present )
7. Glasses (if needed)
8. Verification of Enrollment (VOE) form from student's high school attendance office
VOE is valid for 30 days (except in the summer)